Assault Charges / Domestic Violence Charges / Manslaughter / Murder Charges / Defending You from Allegations of a Violent Crime
Have you been accused of or charged with assault? The first thing you should do is contact a criminal lawyer. Assault charges can upend your life, threatening your finances, reputation, and freedom. The legal system is complex, and without the help of a criminal lawyer who understands it, you may find yourself in a dire situation.
If you are facing assault charges and are searching for a criminal lawyer in Vancouver, the team at the law office of Tom Doust can help.
Tom Doust has 25 years of experience handling criminal cases and has a proven track record of successfully advocating for his client’s rights. He will devise a strategy that will give you the best odds of success.
What is assault?
Assault is the act of deliberately attacking or threatening to attack another person physically. It ranges from a simple push to serious actions like stabbing. Under the Canadian Criminal Code, section 265 (1), an assault occurs when a person:
- Intentionally applies force to another person without their consent.
- Threatens another, whether through a gesture or an act, and can carry out the threat or gives the other person the impression that they can.
- Obstructs another person while openly displaying a weapon resulting in intimidation.
Penalties for assault in Vancouver
The criminal penalties for assault vary depending on the circumstances of the incident.
Simple assault is the most basic type of assault. With a charge of simple assault, you can serve up to 6 months in prison.
Assault causing bodily harm
When visible injuries occur as a result of an assault, the penalty can range from 18 months to 10 years in prison.
Assault with a weapon
Assaults involving any object that can be used as a weapon carry a maximum charge of 10 years in prison.
Aggravated assault generally results in serious injuries that have the potential to significantly disrupt a person’s life or cause death. Aggravated assault is an indictable offence and carries a maximum sentence of 14 years in prison.
How can Tom Doust help?
Dealing with an assault charge on your own is extremely risky because they threaten your very freedom. With Tom Doust as your legal representative, you have a better chance of getting your life back. Here’s how Tom Doust and our team can help you with your caseꓽ
- Provide legal representation. Having Tom Doust as your criminal defence lawyer ensures your voice is heard throughout your trial.
- Present a strong defence. Tom Doust has extensive knowledge of the legal system. He will examine all the facts in your case and exploit any weaknesses to mount a strong defence.
- Protect your rights. Tom Doust will help you understand the entire process and your rights, which will help you make more informed decisions about your case. If your case leads to litigation, he will ensure you receive a fair trial.
- Handle all the paperwork. Our team will take care of all the paperwork for your case, ensuring everything is done properly and eliminating delays in processing.
- Save time and money. By helping you avoid common mistakes, we can ensure your case is dealt with properly and promptly. We can also help prevent any additional costs, such as fines, which will help you save money.
If you are searching for a criminal lawyer in Vancouver and want to learn more about how Tom Doust can help, complete our online contact form or call us today to schedule a consultation to discuss your case.